Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Righteous Anger

To be truthful, I'm not sure where this blog is going to lead. I'm not sure what the content will be, I just know I have something to say regarding the way society is and is headed. Fear not, this is NOT going to be a bash Obama or a redeem Romney blog. It's not about the presidential debates or the election. It's about PEOPLE. Humans who choose to live in a certain way. It's about the destruction I see happening around me every day while SO MANY PEOPLE choose to ignore it.

right·eous

 [rahy-chuh s] 
adjective
1.
characterized by uprightness or morality: a righteous observance of the law.
2.
morally right or justifiable: righteous indignation.
3.
acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous: a righteous and godly person.


an·ger

 

[ang-ger]
noun
1.
a strong feeling of displeasure and belligerence aroused by wrong; wrathire.
2.
Chiefly British Dialect pain or smart, as of a sore.
3.
Obsolete grief; trouble.
verb (used with object)
4.
to arouse anger or wrath in.
5.
Chiefly British Dialect to cause to smart; inflame.

Bible Dictionary
Anger definition
the emotion of instant displeasure on account of something evil that presents itself to our view. In itself it is an original susceptibility of our nature, just as love is, and is not necessarily sinful. It may, however, become sinful when causeless, or excessive, or protracted (Matt. 5:22; Eph. 4:26; Col. 3:8). As ascribed to God, it merely denotes his displeasure with sin and with sinners (Ps. 7:11).

Why do I add those definitions you ask? Well, perhaps so I can evaluate myself, and if what I am feeling is in fact a combination of those two words "righteous anger" These words are used I think too frequently in the Christian circle. Used to excuse anger which is in fact, not a righteous anger. Why do I make such a bold statement? First let's examine righteous - uprightness or morality, morally right or justifiable, acting in an upright way. Can someone who is not living this definition in their lives - so, someone who is not living morally - be qualified to have righteous anger? Is the righteousness confined specifically to the area that is provoking the anger? Now, I'm not saying that I expect people to be perfect. That's impossible, because we are human, we will fail, we do sin. But, are you trying to live in a way that reflects righteousness, and Christ, or are you going to church on Sunday, claiming you're a Christian and living a totally different way throughout the week? On to anger - a strong feeling of displeasure (nothing wrong so far) and belligerence aroused by a wrong... lets quickly examine belligerence - Aggressive or warlike behavior. Now that might be a problem. But, is that just because this is the world's definition of anger? Well, that's why I included the bible definition of anger. (see above). So to combine righteous and anger - to me would seem to mean - a morally right and justifiable strong feeling of displeasure aroused by a wrong. 
All of that considered I shall continue with my post.
What brings me to think "righteous anger"? Well for starters, the exploration of facebook to find so many "friends" who use horrible language, live a wild lifestyle and choose to walk in sin, and occasionally, when everything is going "perfect" in their lives  be all like "Thank you Lord". Now don't get me wrong, it's great that they acknowledge the Lord, but it causes displeasure in me when there are so many people pursuing the Lord consistently, and trying to bring others to Christ through love and their Christ like lives, and people like mentioned above ruin it because non-Christians see that and think ALL Christians are FAKE LIARS.
Please, I know I've made my share of mistakes, I know I'm not perfect... but I am trying. I want the Lord to have the praise, honor, adoration, glory, and reverence He is due. I want to live a lifestyle that reflects who I am and what I claim to be - not by the world's definition, not by the church's definition, but by how the Bible commands me to live. How Christ guides me to live. 
I'm not always going to be able to say "thank you Lord" because things are going fantastic, I am going to face trials, I am going to be tempted, it IS going to be hard. That's why the Lord commands us to "take up their cross daily" (Luke 9:23) not "enjoy the rest of life it will be a breeze". Stop blaming God for putting you in the position of being pregnant out of wedlock and not knowing who the father is... YOU chose to sleep with that many guys. Stop blaming God for your divorce... did you invite Him into the marriage?  Stop blaming God that you're grounded or your parents are angry with you or don't trust you... YOU chose to go out and get drunk when you said you were going to go bowling. Am I making the point yet?
The God of the Bible, the one true God, He wants to work all things out for GOOD... but there is a requirement on our part... we have to trust Him and know that we are called according to HIS purpose. (Romans 8:28)
Now, I'm sure some people who read this will be less than pleased with what I have to say. It will cause some to be uncomfortable, or to feel conviction that they fall into this category. Some will criticize me for being so bold as to actually say something that counteracts our self-focused, self-indulging, whatever-makes-me-feel-good culture. But I dare say, there will be the few, the called, the true followers of Christ, who will rise with me, and make a change.
It's all worth it for the glory of the Lord.
Let us never loose focus to become angry out of our own gain. 



*Please know this is said out of a desire to see change and NOT to condemn. If I have said all this, and have not love for the people, I gain nothing. Please know it is love and compassion that calls for a change*

1 comment:

  1. I tried about 5 times to comment last night and was getting to the unrighteous anger point with google. So, to begin again...Amen to your blog. Our small group is studying anger and it is to bring about an action for change when used correctly. Too many times we get angry about the wrong things and not about the right things. Keep being bold to help others see there is a better way to live. God's way, as His follower, not just a fan who wants the good parts of what God can give, but one who will live for Him no matter what the cost.

    ReplyDelete