Monday, January 21, 2013

Don't be a deadbeat Dad

Don't be a deadbeat Dad... why the title? Why does it sound so harsh? Let me explain.
For so long I heard people say... your view of the Lord is related to how you view your dad. For a long time I sort of thought 'whatever, maybe it's true for some people, but surly not everyone.' Recently though I have been seeing things in my dad, that for many reasons, before now I had missed. And as I notice those things in my own father, I can hear the Lord say... "Kayla, that's how I am too" My dad loves me, he takes care of me, and even goes above and beyond for my sake. How much more does my heavenly Father, who has all the resources He wants, go above and beyond for me? Daily He wants  to encounter us.
So children, mothers, wives, this isn't as much for you as it is for Dads. It's a pleading. Be the man that God wants you to be. Live a life that your children can look at you and see the positive qualities of the Lord. Live a life that draws your children to the Lord. Don't get me wrong, the Lord disciplines, so by no means am I saying to not discipline and to just spoil your children, but examine your life. Are you slow to anger? Do you love your children and show them that you love them even in the midst of discipline? Do they know that no matter what they do, you will always be waiting for them to come back to you? Do your daughters know that they can confide in you and that you are their protection until the right man comes into their lives?
Don't let the moments when they are young pass you by. It is much harder to repair a relationship than to start it off right. Am I saying it's impossible to repair? No, nothing is impossible with the Lord. What I am saying is starting off right is like starting at the top of the mountain, but repairing the relationship requires climbing the mountain first.


I leave you with this...
Ephesians 6:1-4 (amplified version)
1Children, obey your parents in the Lord [as His representatives], for this is just and right.
Honor (esteem and value as precious) your father and your mother—this is the first commandment with a promise—
That all may be well with you and that you may live long on the earth.
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this one from January? Seems like a good time to share as we just celebrated Father's Day. It was nicely done. Thanks

    ReplyDelete